Sarah is here for the summer and wanted something with blueberries, so this is a new recipe I found. I hope you enjoy!!!! This recipe has been adapted from the sweet pea kitchen.
Blueberry-Lemony Coffee Cake
For the Topping:
For the Cake:
For the Icing:
- To make the topping: In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter together until the mixture resembles wet sand. Stir in the nuts; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9×13 inch square baking pan and set aside.
- To make the coffee cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and melted butter until smooth. Gently fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula and stir until the batter looks smooth and well combined. Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners, and level surface with rubber spatula. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter. Bake until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
6. To make the lemon drizzle, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and ½ tablespoon of the lemon juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable. Add up to another ½ tablespoon of lemon juice if the mixture is too stiff. Drizzle over the top the coffee cake. Let harden, about 10 minutes, before serving.