Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

Again, its St. Patty's Day and I'm baking bread. What better to make on St. Patrick's Day than the traditional Irish Soda Bread. I've never made this before. I had it recently in New Frontiers as a sample and I didn't care for it. I went searching for recipes and turns out there are a variety of Irish Soda Breads. I went with a relatively simple recipe. I like it. The bread is nothing outstanding, but it is a nice. Recipe from www.gimmesomeoven.com




Recipe: Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup raisins or dried currants (I used raisins)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a small cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter with a fork, or use your hands, until it resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in raisins and buttermilk until the dough is evenly moistened.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth.

Shape into a 6" ball, place on a cookie sheet.

With a sharp knife, cut a 1/4" deep cross on the top of the dough.

Bake 30-40 minutes, or until the dough is just cooked through and the top is golden brown.


1 comment:

  1. Irish. Me too. Somewhere in in my blood. Looks like a tasty piece of bread. Happy St. Patty's day.

    ReplyDelete