Recipe: Cinnamon Twist Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 envelope active dry yeast or 0.6 Oz
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 4-5 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Mix the yeast and sugar with the lukewarm milk and let it sit a few minutes while the yeast bubbles and foams up.
- Add the egg yolk, the melted butter, the flour and the salt, then knead the dough and shape into a ball.
- Place the dough in a large, greased bowl, then cover and place in a warm space and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Dust your work surface with flour, and roll the dough out to a thickness of 1cm.
- Spread the melted butter across all of the dough, then sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Roll up the dough, and using a knife, cut the log in half length-wise.
- Twist the two halves together, keeping the open layers exposed. Give a round shape, then transfer to a baking tray (buttered or covered with cookie sheet).
- Top the remaining butter and sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit after 5-10 minutes to stop it burning. Top with icing sugar mixed with water if you want, just sprinkle some sugar, or eat it like this.
Tip: I found that the bake time was a little long and made it have a crisp crust. So depending on what you would like you may need to adjust the bake time.